Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Disconnected Babblings on a Generation of Un-Smart.

I think I disagree with John Mayer, though I so much dig the sounds on his album Continuum (so very rad), when he said that we're just waiting on the world to change. Indeed, the fight isn't fair, but has it ever been? I doubt it. The Revolutionary War wasn't fair, the Civil Rights movement wasn't fair... so many events and things in this world aren't fair.

And it is that we don't care... we don't care because we refuse to think. We just want to put our 75 cents in the soda machine of society and get our daily buzz of life and call it good. Our economy is a reflection of the kind of people we've become. Lazy, apathetic, indolent, blind, dumb.

We have given up our rights that so many have bled and died to protect... from within the confines of our governmental structure down to the walls of our own homes. Such attitude of apathy is going to quickly create a wide dividing line between the smart and the dumb... Those who continue to fight for agency and truth and those who give up, resign, and sign away their agency.

I say we specifically. I am very much included in this mess we are all in. I am one of those kids who graduated from college not caring what was going on this world. I am one of those kids who that the world would just fix itself. Well enough of that. This world will not fix itself, or change. It is dying in so many respects. It needs help. We can help.

Now, I'm not a fatalist. I'm not saying quit and give up. This world is good and there is so much Good yet to come. There is, contrary to the 7 'o clock news, a bright future. There is a bright future for those who will think. Those who will not give up their agency and leave the choices for their own freedom and pursuit of happiness in their own hands. It is a bleak and awful future for those who choose to sell themselves, give up their agency, and choose not to accept responsibility for their own actions.

If we are who we say we are... that is children of a Creator of worlds without number... ponder for a moment what that means for our own potential on a planet, on a continent, in a country, state, city, neighborhood, home. There is a mighty power for good (or for that matter, bad) that lies in each of us.

So what? What do we do? Therefore, what? Think. Learn. Work. Do. Don't take anything at face value. As a friend of mine mentioned, "Don't believe what Oprah said just because she's Oprah." What do you think? What do I think? Is not what you or I think just as valid? Is what you or I think really what you or I think? Is it ours? Do we own that thought? Is it justified?

So get off your Facebook, get off your reader, get off your instant messaging, put away the "smart" phone. Stop thinking about what others are thinking and think for yourself. What a preposterous proposition to be alone with your own thoughts. To think and act for yourself and not to be acted upon. These daily distractions are the subtleties of Satan doing exactly what he's been doing for eons... taking away the only thing we actually have... agency.

If we think superficially, then we will be superficial. As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.

Stop reading this and think. I think I'm going to stop writing this and think.

2 comments:

Joy said...

I think we're all afraid to comment on this post because it will show that instead of thinking, we're just doing our mindless daily browse of the beloved Google Reader... which is one of my connections to the world from my stay-at-home situation. You made some good points in this post. We are a very apathetic generation, especially those who are living comfortably and think they are entitled to constant comfort, not to be bothered by what's going on in the world around them. One example is recycling-- some may think there's no need, but every garbage day I just picture all that garbage going into the landfills, much of which "garbage" could be reused. We have optional recycling offered in our city, that costs a mere $5/month, and about 1 person on each street actually does it. Some people even order an extra garbage can and just throw all their cardboard boxes and water bottles in there. It disgusts me so much. You would be proud though, Jason, because I am THINKING for myself and writing a letter to the mayor to outline why our city recycling should be mandatory. Other than that, I am indeed living in a comfortable, sheltered bubble! That Oprah quote-- was it stated by Pace? He says that because my sister (and others) like to report on what Oprah has recently said, some of which has turned out to be opinion/wrong/taken out of context. Yes, it is important to step back and take a look at things from a broader perspective.

Jason Graham said...

Hahaha I admire your bravery Joy! Actually I didn't mean for people to go delete their accounts and stuff... really just give your brain a chance to think and have some output rather than all this input which in many cases is incorrect or mundane input.

SLC totally doesn't recycle and we do our darndest to make it happen... it was even a struggle to find a place to TAKE recycling up here. Crazy.

We need to come down and party soon!